Monday, May 28, 2012

Memorial Day 2012

Memorial Day is a time to remember the men and women who have died in military service to the USA.   On this day the flag is lowered to half-staff, where it remains until noon.  The half-staff position remembers the more than one million men and women who have given their lives for our freedom. At noon the flag is raised by the living, who resolve not to let their sacrifice be in vain. We think that this flag quilt, which is quilted with the lyrics to a well-known song, is perfect for Memorial Day.

God Bless the USA, 53 x 38", by Pam Smith, Contra Costa County Quilt Guild, Pleasant Hill, California


The quilter, Pam Smith, explains her lovely work:  "I wanted to quilt the words of the refrain to 'God Bless the USA' by Lee Greenwood but hadn’t figured out how to do that when my mom bought a long arm quilting machine.  After some practice I found that quilting words was much easier than regular designs.  I did the words in blue thread but they didn’t show up like I wanted, so I did some bobbin work from the back following the quilt lines with Razzle Dazzle thread in the bobbin on my regular machine.”




I'm proud to be an American 
where at least I know I'm free
And I won't forget the men who died
who gave that right to me, 
And I gladly stand up next to you
 and defend her still today, 
'Cause there ain't no doubt I love this land 
God Bless the U.S.A.
Image and song credits:  Photos of the quilt by Pam Smith were taken by Quilt Inspiration at the Contra Costa County Quilt Show, April, 2012.  God Bless the U.S.A was written by Lee Greenwood in 1983, and it has been voted the most recognizable patriotic song in America, taking the top honor over God Bless America and the National Anthem.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love reading each and every comment... thanks for visiting our blog!

Related Posts with Thumbnails